1995-09-19 - Re: NYT on Netscape Crack

Header Data

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@Glue.umd.edu>
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
Message Hash: a23c121f7eea1625f0f386abfc7b4e53b4db7d89dfdf0de6b20a1d055292a381
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950919153502.8469C-100000@hertz.isr.umd.edu>
Reply To: <199509190355.XAA01329@frankenstein.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-19 19:38:35 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 12:38:35 PDT

Raw message

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@Glue.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 12:38:35 PDT
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Subject: Re: NYT on Netscape Crack

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Not, of course, that they disclosed it before -- it was found by
> reverse engineering the distributed executable. Not, of course, that
> they have a choice in the matter of whether to disclose it -- they
> will be "disclosing" how its done as soon as they release the
> code. Not, of course, that security through obscurity does any good --
> it just magnifies the pain.

Well, now that Cypherpunks have again shown yet another hole in Netscape
security, I think we are one pretty good standing to demand

   ACCESS TO SOURCE CODE FOR NETSCAPE,

so we can work to help make Netscape "pretty good".  Any reporters
listening?

-Thomas

Thread