1995-09-19 - Re: NYT on Netscape Crack

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e0cbb943dc1835a39ba97275875ca91daa8992160a66663c4f6583d2295ad942
Message ID: <9509191548.AA17659@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <199509190703.DAA03247@clark.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-19 15:49:43 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 08:49:43 PDT

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 08:49:43 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NYT on Netscape Crack

I take a long term view of security. Basically I don't trust security software
until it has been released in a stable condition for a few years.

The comments about Credit Card numbers miss the point. The volumes of trade on
the Internet today are so small that the number of card numbers floating arround
is insignificant. There are much easier ways to find them than cracking the
Internet. This will not be the case in a couple of years time where the trade
volumes are far higher.

Visa and Mastercard will be comming out with a spec which will have very tight
requirements for implementations.

	Phill

Thread