1995-09-13 - Minor Risk to LSB Steganography

Header Data

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Message Hash: b775209d8314afe9e97d74e9bec2ed75473d7f1bca7b1a0151a8292773833bed
Message ID: <9509132007.AA19945@cs.umass.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 13:08:02 PDT

Raw message

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 13:08:02 PDT
Subject: Minor Risk to LSB Steganography

Last week I attended a lecture given by Dexter Kozen at Cornell, on
"Efficient Algorithms for Optimal Transmission of Video Data". He
mentioned in passing a couple of approaches to choosing data that may
acceptably be lost in the process (i.e. without excessive picture quality
degradation). One scheme (which I believe counts as a "corona method")
involves simply discarding the LSBs of all the encoded pixels or whatnot.
This method was not at all a focus of the talk. Anyway, I thought
I'd mention it as another minor potential threat to the use of LSB
steganography in video transmission, e.g. MPEG streams.

-Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

Thread