1995-10-13 - Re: responce to graphic encryption replies

Header Data

From: Ron McCoy <rmccoy@mercury.interpath.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5faf20b973fd9df0afcc491e115fb8fa9d6d457c38dfe7acfb7d13280d714546
Message ID: <199510131535.LAA01216@mercury.interpath.net>
Reply To: <199510130432.AAA14986@thor.cs.umass.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-13 15:35:08 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 08:35:08 PDT

Raw message

From: Ron McCoy <rmccoy@mercury.interpath.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 08:35:08 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: responce to graphic encryption replies

> Steve Orrin writes:
> [...]
> >     One of the key strengths, as I see it, of graphic encryption is
> > that during decryption via hacking, there is an added time element when
> > a human interface is required to verify the product, ( since it is a
> > graphic picture being produced, regular checksums for intelligible
> > words can't be used sans implementing OCR), even if this is only 10
> > milliseconds per try this is increases the time to crack
>
> This is an interesting point I hadn't previously considered. Can anyone
> comment on the state of the art in fast approximate character recognition ?
> I expect that the people working on recognition of text in TV pictures etc.
> would have a good idea.

[....]

> -Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

I wouldn't think you would have to use OCR to detect a successful
decryption. The graphic file is going to have a highly correlated
structure, long runs of white space etc. The statistics for such a file
would be different than the random distribution you'd get from using the
wrong key. Even if the graphics format is compressed, leading to a more
even distribution, there might be known plaintext at the beginning of the
file, headers, size etc.

Ron McCoy
Rmccoy@mercury.interpath.net

Thread