1995-10-25 - Re: Quick commercial package question

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: jonathon@doemail.sbi.com (Jonathon Fletcher)
Message Hash: 659d940604e644dcd9c86bf1432930b9fcd59d4bbd55c93cf2e8c2936d2662c1
Message ID: <199510250410.AAA24053@homeport.org>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951025122602.8492M-100000@doe905f>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-25 04:08:14 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 21:08:14 PDT

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 21:08:14 PDT
To: jonathon@doemail.sbi.com (Jonathon Fletcher)
Subject: Re: Quick commercial package question

Jonathon Fletcher wrote:

|   There's a compression/archiving package on the Mac call Stuffit. It
| comes in the usual Lite (get free then register) and Deluxe (money first,
| product later) flavours. It offers, amongst it's options, an encryption
| option on a 'per archive entry'. This means you can have an archive with a
| mix of encrypted and unencrypted files and folders, all in the same
| archive.
|
|   Question is - does anyone know anything about the strength or
| trustability of the encryption algorithm used ? It's freely exportable
| from the US (or so I thought) so it can't be DES. Is it (down) on a level
| with the MS Word or Wordperfect ciphers, or is it a little better ? How
| far should I trust it ?

	Its a 40 bit watered down version of DES.  Stuffit 2 included
DES, so Aladdin is aware of strong crypto, but the cost of shipping
two versions was too high.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread