1995-10-21 - Re: Java power

Header Data

From: Raph Levien <raph@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a959cfb5f9e13530c8ea68d572e01da4716619be0406061f47e17236f278b8ea
Message ID: <199510211732.KAA05181@kiwi.cs.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <199510210424.AAA17318@opine.cs.umass.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-21 20:54:52 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Oct 95 13:54:52 PDT

Raw message

From: Raph Levien <raph@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 95 13:54:52 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Java power

> I'm trying to mentally compare this scenario with the use of a
> cryptographically-outfitted mailer operated through an encrypted telnet
> session.
>
> First of all, I suppose the browser has groovy bells and whistles to spice
> up reading email. Maybe you could run a snazzy GUI standalone mailer in some
> windowing protocol through the encrypted telnet link as an alternative. This
> is largely irrelevant to me personally, but could make a huge difference to
> the hoi polloi.
>
> Ignoring such interface concerns, what kinds of situations would be conducive
> to the JavaMail approach but not, say, ssh+Elm+PGP ? Perhaps I'm visiting
> someone where there's no local POP for my ISP. The friend I'm visiting has
> e.g. an AOL account. I would like to read mail on my remote account via her
> AOL browser. Am I wrong in assuming that I couldn't execute a telnet: URL
> with the AOL browser ?

The difference is the ubiquity of the infrastructure. Indeed, nothing
in my scenario differs on a technical basis from encrypted telnet +
PGP. However, in my scenario, anybody with a Java-capable Web browser
would be able to access the service, just by clicking on a link.

Raph

Thread