1995-10-03 - Re: Simple Hardware RNG Idea

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: Simon Spero <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d2ebe4a204be4a341d8b793e6ee8b567433cf46e9f8643f77231e0ad01c550d5
Message ID: <9510031505.AA11622@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.951002225219.7461A-100000@chivalry>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-03 15:05:29 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 08:05:29 PDT

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 08:05:29 PDT
To: Simon Spero <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Simple Hardware RNG Idea

>What about a beam of high intensity ionising radiation aimed at the
>detector? Since we're dealing with lo intensity sources, this could force
>the RNG into a small part of its range. Beware of black helicopters
>carrying cyclotrons :-)

Thermal noise is a much less hazardous mechanism. Ionising radiation is a pain to deal
with, it is something one generally attempts to get rid of in a fabrication process if
possible. Environmental radiation is a strong polluting source.

There are plenty of other quantum phenomena which can be tapped. Essentially all one
needs to do is to build a very high gain amplifier "baddly". The main difficulty is
removing bias. One can either go through filtering hohaa or use say MD5. The trully
paranoid could Xor together an odd number of  MD5 samples just in case there were bit
pattern dependencies.

	Phill

Thread