1995-10-19 - Re: Postscript in Netscape

Header Data

From: Julius Cisek <jules@netscape.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f6959d2b99cfb7a87502753f588c9f4f565a4c8f5dca8dacc2d20c9fec6f4818
Message ID: <3085AE63.BB6@netscape.com>
Reply To: <3084DD5B.4AD1@netscape.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-19 01:49:59 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 18:49:59 PDT

Raw message

From: Julius Cisek <jules@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 18:49:59 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Postscript in Netscape

Dr. Frederick B. Cohen wrote:
> WRONG!!! Netscape claims to be "secure" - hence it is Netscape's job to
> be secure - regardless of the user's use of their product.  Otherwise,
> the ads should read:
>
>         "Netscape can be used securely by sufficiently knowledgeable
>         users who have emasculated their postscript interpreters before
>         using them to view files of unknown origin, and who have removed
>         all other known, unknown, and/or undisclosed security holes from
>         their systems.  Otherwise, Netscape is insecure and should not be
>         trusted."

Err...  If software companies were to follow your line of logic, software
boxes (all sorts of software) would become covered with fine print.  As
would ads for the software.  Although I'm sure industry lawyers would
welcome that, personally I think it would be quite sad.

A stupid example:
I can replace copy on your machine so that it does a delete instead.
Does that mean that the OS manufacturer has to warn a user about this?

There's a point at which one has to hand off the assessment to the buyer.

This is my own opinion and also that of anyone who agrees with me.
I'm reading this group because it's very interesting for me personally.
There.

--

~Jules (Julius Cisek)   /- __  -   mailto:jules@netscape.com
Server Eng, NETSCAPE  /\ >\=/\ --- http://home.netscape.com/people/jules