1995-11-30 - “Got a subpoena?”

Header Data

From: David Mandl <dmandl@bear.com>
To: sameer <sameer@c2.org>
Message Hash: 5215088a24074e1c89d6d333fd229d5cd15a3541b25d478483be707011d3d2ab
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951130113015.132b-100000@goya>
Reply To: <199511301606.IAA17493@infinity.c2.org>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-30 16:55:17 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Nov 95 08:55:17 PST

Raw message

From: David Mandl <dmandl@bear.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 95 08:55:17 PST
To: sameer <sameer@c2.org>
Subject: "Got a subpoena?"

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, sameer wrote:

> 	Community ConneXion will comply with all properly formed court
> orders and subpeonas. We will *not* cooperate without court
> intervention. (I.e. Mr. FBI calls up and says "can you help us find
> this suspect"? I respond "got a subpoena?")

But it's not quite that simple, Sameer.  Don't underestimate the more
subtle forms of non-cooperation you can engage in.

To use the most obvious example, different remailer operators turn
different levels of logging on.  So one operator will say "Yes, I am
obligated to fully comply with your subpoena, officer.  Here are the
full logs for the last six months."  And another will say "Yes, I am
obligated to fully comply with your subpoena, officer.  However, I
keep no logs at all of the mail sent through my remailer.  Drag, huh?"

Being the eternal pessimist, I once again point out that the
government will try to stop cryptoanarchy any way they can.  Their
main tool is the law, and they WILL use it eventually when all else
fails.  Personally, I would play it safe by operating on the
assumption that basically EVERYTHING will be illegal eventually and
"finessing" laws will become more important.  In short, they WILL have
a subpoena--then what?

Of course, I personally would never do anything illegal.

   --Dave.

--
David Mandl
Bear, Stearns & Co. Inc.

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.