1995-11-29 - Re: break microsoft!!!

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: c4291d5cc78d894699bf44c80c1f38cee6335eefb44576090e368f2170c7d48a
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.951129132555.17268F-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <199511291949.LAA04349@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-29 22:01:10 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 06:01:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 06:01:10 +0800
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: break microsoft!!!

Be careful not to sound too gleeful, lest you play into the evil nasty
hacker stereotype. Keep the focus on the fact that real encryption is
both possible and highly desired; the bad guys are lazy programmers and
the US Government.

I have sent a pointer to the sci.crypt article to the win95netbugs list,
which currently has eight Microsoft employees and nine major computer
magazines on it. I might mention it to Microsoft's "technical people"
when they drop by next week to address our networking concerns.

The answer, for anyone desiring one, is to turn off Win95's "multiple
user profiles" features, turn off "encrypted password caching," and
advertise the fact that Win95 is a totally insecure single-user OS, and
will continue to be so as long as it uses the 1970's-vintage FAT file
system. If real security is not available, the goal should be to
eliminate the false sense of security that encourages people to leave
sensitive files out in the open.

-rich

Thread