1995-11-09 - Re: Photuris 512bit Prime Challenge? (Re: Photuris Primality verification needed)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: Richard.Johnson@colorado.edu (Richard Johnson)
Message Hash: fd81b8127fb4ee1673d9568b0f458f7410910d8f1b7bcfcd0ebbd0fd01f1f05f
Message ID: <199511082020.PAA09434@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <v02130501acc6820ddefd@[204.144.184.50]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-09 00:11:49 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 08:11:49 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 08:11:49 +0800
To: Richard.Johnson@colorado.edu (Richard Johnson)
Subject: Re: Photuris 512bit Prime Challenge? (Re: Photuris Primality verification needed)

Richard Johnson writes:
> Hilarie Orman <ho@cs.arizona.edu> wrote:
> >If you are willing to accept that in all likelihood, one year from
> >now, some group will announce that can "crack" all key exchanges that
> >using the published modulus, then sure, call it sufficient.
>
> Sounds like someone just threw down a gauntlet.
>
> Is it even possible to do the precomputations in a distributed manner in
> less than a year or two?

I would guess that it probably is. However, there is no point in
trying to do this yet since I suspect that Phil and Bill can be
convinced that its a bad idea to specify a 512 bit modulus.

Perry

Thread