1995-12-18 - Re: Political Cleanup program

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: jim bell <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0281e7018b389c400d4860422da37ac9591f7719ccdba820ecea064ff71c5fc8
Message ID: <199512180430.UAA02707@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:03:33 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:03:33 +0800
To: jim bell <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Political Cleanup program

At 11:04 AM 12/17/95 -0800, jim bell wrote:
> It occurs to me that it would be a major advance if a system could be set up
> that would "blind" campaign donations as to their source:  The donor could
> be satisfied that his donation gets to the candidate or cause, but the
> candidate couldn't know  who actually paid the money

To make this work, the government would need to prohibit individuals
from campaigning for politicians, taking out ads with political
consequences, and so on and so forth.   A short step from
totalitarianism

A better solution is to move assets and money into forms where
politicians cannot get at them, thus reducing the power of politicians,
and thus the incentive to buy favors from them.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread