1995-12-18 - Re: Political Cleanup program

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
Message Hash: 5f3517f314e57889ab620df72f028a86fbc30b2b4096d74afa0e6c20c408af33
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.951218103237.4985E-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <199512180430.UAA02707@blob.best.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-18 19:10:31 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 03:10:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 03:10:31 +0800
To: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Subject: Re: Political Cleanup program

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, James A. Donald wrote:

> At 11:04 AM 12/17/95 -0800, jim bell wrote:
> > It occurs to me that it would be a major advance if a system could be set up
> > that would "blind" campaign donations as to their source:  The donor could
> > be satisfied that his donation gets to the candidate or cause, but the
> > candidate couldn't know  who actually paid the money

See my earlier post.

> To make this work, the government would need to prohibit individuals
> from campaigning for politicians, taking out ads with political
> consequences, and so on and so forth.   A short step from
> totalitarianism

Not to mention the death of the First Amendment.  Which, under your
scenario, would probably mean the death (or curtailment) of Cypherpunks.

> A better solution is to move assets and money into forms where
> politicians cannot get at them, thus reducing the power of politicians,
> and thus the incentive to buy favors from them.

I'm not sure what you mean here:  are politicians to be prohibited from
campaigning (which cost money)?  And if politicians, who generally take
the form of human beings, can't get at $$$, how can you or I?

> of animals that we are. True law	|   James A. Donald
> arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

EBD

Thread