1995-12-23 - Encrypted script - sort of

Header Data

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 6fadd1acb218af3c7e35ece4149447131c26ccd9cbf4f2fc6f0cfcc376684930
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.951222230842.16815A-100000@micro.internexus.net>
Reply To: <m0tTFol-00090DC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-23 13:49:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 21:49:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 21:49:46 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Encrypted script - sort of

> >A tale I hear is that when HP had to deliver operating system source to
> >the french government they stripped all comments and changed all variable
> >and subroutine names to 32 byte strings of I 1 0 (zero) and O (uppercase O).
> >It still compiled but was 100% useless to human readers.

A somewhat useful utility would be one that would compress C code into as
small space as possible, stripping out all spaces and making variable
names one character a piece when possible. And of course one to expand it
back into 'formatted' text, style could even be incorporated.

I'm sure a Perl fanatic knows a quick solution... I'm always amazed at
how short Perl code is.. :)   Anyone care to take care of this utility?

Thread