1995-12-07 - Re: [NOISE] Re: FW: websurfer 4.6

Header Data

From: Aleph One <aleph1@dfw.net>
To: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Message Hash: 72f716ef46e8da58e06b549b965bdc3221f6200e5575e396ea81d98a82bed043
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951207154059.21791B-100000@dfw.net>
Reply To: <Pine.ULT.3.91.951207131535.13367F-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-07 21:50:49 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 13:50:49 PST

Raw message

From: Aleph One <aleph1@dfw.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 13:50:49 PST
To: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Re: FW: websurfer 4.6

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Rich Graves wrote:

[snip]
> Microsoft's strategy is to support VB.
[snip]
> -rich

Its interesting to note that all the people that were raving mad about Java
seem to be quiet now that MS is proposing to use VB. At least Java was
designed from the ground up with security in mind. But VB? Actual binary
DDL running around. Just as an explame look at Oracles new PowerBrowers.
They have what they call CSP (or client side processing) which are just that
VB DDL's that you keep in your machine and if you dont have one d/l.
Now their docs say that once you download all it does is warn you
so you can authenticate it and scan it for viruses. This is not good.
Wanna bet who many people dont? And this is not like Netscape plug ins.
Where Netscapes plug ins are ment to handle major content types (like
streaming video) and you would get them from a company that then you can sue,
CPS are ment to be used anywhere fron plugins type apps down to Java type
applets like a ticker tape (their exmaple).

Also not that Oracle included BASIC as their client side scripting language.
By readin gthe web pages I saw that the scripts seem to have access
to the clients history, profile, et la. Anyone for a "Hack Oracle Content"?
I will d/l today an play with it, if I mind by guess true who will give
me a t-shirt?

Aleph One / aleph1@dfw.net
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01

Thread