1995-12-17 - Re: Is ths legal?…

Header Data

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cdbcb0b01b2b3917a37410a7d6e742e512a46cecf7d1f9f7ba0b84f264fd7562
Message ID: <199512170131.UAA03707@pipe6.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 10:01:28 +0800

Raw message

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 10:01:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Is ths legal?...

On Dec 16, 1995 18:37:05, 'Jay Holovacs <holovacs@styx.ios.com>' wrote:

>I was told today that students at Oklahoma University have their computer
>accounts subject to administrative inspection and that encryption (even
>email) without escrow is prohibited. Maybe the story is not quite straight

>but federal law supposedly protects personal electronic communication and
>I somehow don't think OU can overide this simply because it passes thru
>their computers.

First, it may not be true.

Second, if it is true, people frequently define the ability to do something
as a "privledge" not a "right." As in a hypothetical "Use of student
accounts at O.U. is a privledge extended to the students by the University.
By using our computer you keep to our rules, including abandoning any
notion you might have that your communications are in any way private" etc.
etc.

--tallpaul

Thread