1996-01-24 - Re: SS Obergruppenfuhrer Zimmermann (NOT!)

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 02549dbd3bd65e081ccc3e31bfd8c1dc64d75fd51439f2503615bfd77372d14b
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.960123190211.27450F-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <199601240015.SAA03590@proust.suba.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-24 05:30:25 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:30:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:30:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SS Obergruppenfuhrer Zimmermann (NOT!)

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Alex Strasheim wrote:

> > We need to find a way to take back the initiative. We need to find a way
> > to put the fear of God into liers.
>
> I'm outta step here, I know, but it seems to me that if we're going to go
> around advocating anonymity and technology that makes censorship
> impossible we'd better grow thicker skins.

(Hear)^2

> Is it a terrible thing that someone called him a name in print?  Yes.  If
> he's got a case, he should sue.  But something tells me he's tough enough
> to take it either way.

Geez, guys, they didn't even do that.

Some rag said that Nazis used PGP.

Some anonymous guy forwarded, without substantive comment, a report of the
above.

The report is true, to a point. Nazis use PGP. So do child pornographers,
anti-Nazis, rapists, women who have been raped and don't care for the
world to know, major US and international corporations, and the US
Military (most of the computer security bulletins I see from .mil are
PGP-signed).

I thought the report was totally bogus, and I took Mr. Anonymous's posting
to be a joke -- see, first those silly people who don't understand
anything are attacking the Internet because it's got these dirty pictures
on it, now they say there's Nazis using encryption on it.

Was there nobody else who was able to look at that and laugh?

Sheesh.

> > Violence won't work, since they are capable of human-wave attacks.
>
> And because it's wrong?

"Wrong" is irrelevant, because it's unenforceable. Right, guys? Don't be
such a girlie, Alex.

What we need is amoral deterrence at the most atomistic level, right?
Heck, it's the only thing that we know works.

-rich
 Fucking Statist

Thread