1996-01-18 - Re: Espionage-enabled Lotus notes.

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: Trei Family <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 074c0579b3892def0af4d2f40fd71813eda87865ef7d3da6991ecfe6c3d5896b
Message ID: <9601181638.AA01736@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <199601181451.JAA25153@iii2.iii.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-18 17:13:49 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 01:13:49 +0800

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 01:13:49 +0800
To: Trei Family <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Espionage-enabled Lotus notes.

I've been discussing the Lotus notes escrowed key reduction with some
knowledgeable people. The first time I heard it suggested was by Adi Shamir at a
talk by the deputy director of the NSA at MIT.

The problem with this system is that it is quite likely to suceed. Unlike
Clipper which made unfettered access to encrypted material possible the escrowed
key strength reduction means that the FBI can tap a significant number of
locations, just not all of them.

It will be very hard to argue effectively against this idea in Congress. Much
harder than the Clipper chip which was dead on arrival.

	Phill

Thread