1996-01-18 - Espionage-enabled Lotus notes.

Header Data

From: Trei Family <trei@iii.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d1dee0d8ee39d0fcdedf14b4260bd5afe8d3299b53504281e7a2abcb4d37119e
Message ID: <199601181451.JAA25153@iii2.iii.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 06:52:17 PST

Raw message

From: Trei Family <trei@iii.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 06:52:17 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Espionage-enabled Lotus notes.

I've come up with a new term to describe the type of 'improved' security
in the new International edition of Lotus Notes:

'espionage-enabled'

It's specifically built for export, and has a backdoor to enable USG agents
to read the messages more easily. From the viewpoint of a foreign purchaser,
'espionage-enabled' seems an appropriate term.

If we spread this term sufficiently, we may be able to discourage the
widespread adoption of this half-measure, and increase the pressure for
good, unencumbered crypto.

speaking only for myself,

Peter Trei
ptrei@acm.org