1996-01-03 - Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
Message Hash: 160859b84585cf19dbc0861176d4ff55fa169185635ae53b9d769d593e85dcee
Message ID: <m0tXM1f-0008zOC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 18:28:06 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 18:28:06 +0800
To: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

At 05:37 PM 1/2/96 -0800, you wrote:
>> It seems to me that phone line costs are turning into a floor price for
>> Internet access, when they shouldn't really be.  The main asset telephone
>> companies have, right now, is in RIGHTS OF WAY.  Put an ISP in a business
>> park that allows you to run  your own dedicated copper pairs, and you've
>> bypassed $25/month/line business phone line charges.
>>
>> At some point, individual urban and suburban blocks could easily be
>> "guerilla re-wired" for ISP access without serious trenching, etc.  The
>> phoneco would still be involved, but in a far lower-profit mode, as the
>> supplier of a single T1 to a multi-block area.
>
>For the "last mile" to the ISP user, wireless could be a better bet.
>Have antenna, will surf.

Yes, you're absolutely right.  It would be great if some entrepreneur could
buy a T1, put up a 2000 MHz (or somewhere around that; whatever frequency
was allocated appropriately) local "cellular" data system which would be
able to connect to up to, say, 100 simultaneous  or so local users using
modems little more complicated than a current 900 MHz cordless phone.  Okay,
maybe all this stuff is already being worked on at a few dozen or hundred
companies around the globe, but I can't wait...

>(Not speaking for Qualcomm, etc.)
>
>Peter Monta   pmonta@qualcomm.com
>Qualcomm, Inc./Globalstar

Question:  Is this the "Qualcomm" that does the Internet access software, or
the "Qualcomm" who builds the wireless amps/filters/hardware/etc?   Or is it
all the same company?!?

Thread