1996-01-27 - Re: Denning’s misleading statements

Header Data

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@Glue.umd.edu>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 1f46c2148731a20f4083beb1a65b77b61936a8164f57455583d5ea022c38d291
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960127034520.15214B-100000@volt.isr.umd.edu>
Reply To: <m0tg2xB-0008zgC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-27 09:27:13 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 17:27:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@Glue.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 17:27:13 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Denning's misleading statements

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, jim bell wrote:

> I'm not saying we should somehow try to prevent people from developing truly
> voluntary key-escrow systems; rather, I'm saying that their existence should
> alert us to the danger.

True - and while the administration/FBI and their pawns at NIST (most of
which are ex-NSA) recognize they can't force total key escrow right now,
they are working on a FIPS to ensure that all government software
purchases include government key escrow, to try to tilt the marketplace
towards this idea.

>From the various Key Escrow meetings I've gone to, the main people who
said they want voluntary escrow was mainly banking concerns, and they
certainly wanted it in safe hands, not in the hands of the government.
Infact no one from industry was concerned about "immediate key escrow"
for tapping phone lines (except for this crazy guy from IBM).  Key escrow
was only seen as useful in terms of data recovery.

-Thomas

Thread