1996-01-22 - Re: Wipe Swap File

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Peter Monta <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 307c0faa0d558a40663c64970a1b8217dcd1b6b74f0ffe8af85f59b597646b9e
Message ID: <m0teDrp-0008yBC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 20:53:20 PST

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 20:53:20 PST
To: Peter Monta <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Wipe Swap File

At 06:43 PM 1/21/96 -0800, Peter Monta wrote:
>Tim May writes:
>
>> Much more expensive would be various electron microscope-based imaging
>> methods to directly image the domains and extract subtle signs of past
>> write cycles.
>
>I recently took a tour of Park Scientific, the scanning-probe
>microscopy people, in Sunnyvale.  One of their demo-stations
>showed a small portion of a hard disk (taken with an AFM
>tip fitted with a small magnet to generate the force).  Most
>impressive.  (I did look closely at the edges of the track,
>but saw no sign of previous writes.)
>Peter Monta   pmonta@qualcomm.com

While I admit that I'm not particularly familiar with modern hard disk head
design, I think it is futile to look for data in this way.  If they "tunnel
erase" the edges of the data track, even small misalignments will not allow
remnants of data to remain.  (And I assume that "all" modern hard disk
drives employ high-precision data-read feedback mechanisms to maintain track
alignment down to the submicron level...  thermally-sensitive stepper motors
and linear positioners of the 1980's are (or at least should be) gone!)

Further, modern read-channel techniques (PRML; partial response, maximum
likelihood) bring the normally readable signal closer to the noise level
than ever before, and the PREVIOUSLY written signal is that much more
difficult to resurrect.

As a method for gathering intelligence on anyone, I think that this is dead
and buried.

However, I _still_ want to see brainless operating systems like MSDOS
changed to erase (zero) allocated  data buffers before and after use (and
especially before re-use!), so that parts of vital files don't accidentally
get written to the ends of other files.

Thread