1996-01-10 - RE: Net Control is Thought Control

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Pete Loshin <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4d7a248c66bc089db61d17917812c8967dde0e8186e5aab9f2a8deed20501f72
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960110200221.006aa430@panix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:23:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:23:02 +0800
To: Pete Loshin <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Net Control is Thought Control

At 01:34 PM 1/10/96 -0500, Pete Loshin wrote:
>Magazines and TV (and books, newspapers, movies etc.) are _NOT_
>regulated, at least not as to content.  These media are all
>pretty much self-regulated.

Lots of content regulation in the US:

Libel, slander, indecency (radio and TV), obscenity, Federal Trade
Commission (advertizing controls), Food and Drug Administration (drug
'labeling' and info controls), booze and cigarette advertizing, EEOC
(controls on discriminatory advertizing), children's television
requirements, civil defense broadcast requirements, station identification
requirements, civil controls on advertizing foreign financial services (did
you know this was illegal?), civil liability for carrying 'hit man' ads,
etc.  I'd come up with more if I had more time.  I'll add more over the next
few days as I think of them.

Not to mention the numerous content controls in countries other than the US.

The Nets will smash all of these content controls.

DCF

Thread