1996-01-26 - Nym use in the real world

Header Data

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6f1a87e5e03eae0db27462d43a9e7b082ed6d23cd75560505f2f3b781c0be15a
Message ID: <199601261801.KAA07578@slack.lne.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 03:50:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 03:50:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Nym use in the real world

With the coming Internet restrictions and growing use of the
net by LEAs, it's become obvious to me that I shouldn't post
messages with my real name.  But I have some problems/questions about
using a nym:

1. reputation.  My nym will need to build it's own reputation, I know.
But I currently get offers of work based on my reputation and posts.  I
would like this to continue.  When it comes time to do the work and
collect the pay, I need to tie my nym to me.  Reasons: only the
most adventurous firms would hire someone to do work without knowing
their real name.  I also need to have the proper forms (1099 etc)
filed.  I know that a lot of people on the list would say that I shouldn't
file taxes, but I am (currently) willing to pay the price to stay
out of jail.

The other problem (tying the nym to RealName) for employers is
more severe.  A nym is only good when no one can tie it to your
real name.  If I have to tell everyone I do work for what my real
name and nym is, soon enough people will be able to tie the two that
the nym becomes nearly useless.

2. does it (a nym) really help?  Police and governments are used to
dealing with people who change their names, use fake names, etc.
I get the impression that having multiple/fake names is considered by police
to be evidence or at least indication of guilt.  "If you're not guilty
why're you hiding?".

Using a nym would at least help with the problem of police or
other parties searching through Dejanews/Altavista for my posts for
incriminating evidence.  But if my nym is investigated for some future
crime (fuck Exon) and my nym isn't secure enough to protect my
RealName, it will be a liability.

Thoughts?

Thread