1996-01-27 - Re: Denning’s misleading statements

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 760ce457eebe5cb85c00690eb20f4e7252f8c415c00e8ac6c6958c8a7e7df70f
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.960126194558.19154u-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960126222026.8591A-100000@reggae.src.umd.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-27 04:23:04 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 12:23:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 12:23:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Denning's misleading statements

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Thomas Grant Edwards wrote:

> I think the big bait-and-switch is her description of the various
> companies falling over themselves to get to _VOLUNTARY_ key escrow to
> avoid losing data and protecting themselves against employee problems
> versus _MANDATORY_GOVERNMENT_ key escrow to ensure that individuals
> cannot hide information from the government.
>
> Key escrow is good.  Key escrow against your will is bad.

Yo.

I especially enjoyed this sentence: "Individuals would be allowed to
develop their own encryption systems for personal or educational use
without obtaining licenses, though they could not distribute them to
others."

It's unclear whether it's OK to share books, algorithms, and source code;
or if it is, what's the point?

Outlaw cryptography, and only cryptographers and outlaws will have
cryptography.

-rich

Thread