1996-01-08 - [NOISE] Re: please stop the Mitnick stuff

Header Data

From: iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b108f98a8b6875b37027a853c645631b19b3a50ab0d1422eceaae041f1b58868
Message ID: <4cq1u3$84m@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Reply To: <v02120d0bad14ee9ba9ef@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-08 03:29:00 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:29:00 +0800

Raw message

From: iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:29:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [NOISE] Re: please stop the Mitnick stuff

In article <v02120d0bad14ee9ba9ef@[192.0.2.1]>,
Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com> wrote:
>At 21:16 1/6/96, John Young wrote:
>
>>   Also, crypto-related: The fact that Shimomura's supposedly
>>   secret files were not protected by encryption or other
>>   security is what causes Littman and others to think there
>>   was a sting (perhaps with TLA help) rather than foolish
>>   vanity of the security wizard.
>
>[I do belive this has CP relevance.]
>
>Of course it was a set-up. Mitnick got into Shimomura's computer by
>impersonating the IP address of one of Shimomura's machines. The router
>should have never let packets in from outside that have an IP address that
>is supposed to be inside. That a 'security expert' would overlook such a
>blatant and well publicized hole in his _own_ router is inconceivable.

"That word you keep using -- I do not think it means what you think it means."

   - Ian

Thread