1996-01-19 - Re: “cybertage”

Header Data

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
To: vznuri@netcom.com (Vladimir Z. Nuri)
Message Hash: b59f4c70884fc827d40488a4dd591a575cc0f9472bdd9b50383f6fefa99f6001
Message ID: <199601191846.MAA12766@proust.suba.com>
Reply To: <199601191722.JAA04520@netcom18.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-19 19:16:58 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 03:16:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 03:16:58 +0800
To: vznuri@netcom.com (Vladimir Z. Nuri)
Subject: Re: "cybertage"

> how about a new term for all the various enemies of cyberspatial
> advancement?

I think this is a bad idea.  We should be moving away from demonization,
not towards it.

We are right, and they are wrong.  The good thing about being right is
that logic and the facts will bear us out.  Let's use rational arguments,
not name calling.  Save the nasty names for another fight when you're
wrong and the other guy is right.

We should build a case to show that everyone -- including those who
disagree with us -- will be better off if we win.  It's the truth, so we
ought to be able to come up with good arguments.

Unfettered access to strong crypto is in everyone's intrest.  It's good
for business and it's good for civil liberties and freedom around the
world.  These are not complicated things to grasp.  If we get our message
out there, we will win.

Lotus has made a mistake.  Their gak plan won't reassure international
customers, which is to say it won't do what they want it to do.  So why do
it?  Instead of calling them names, let's explain why it was a bad idea.
Let's try to explain to Lotus customers why it's a bad idea.  If we can do
that, we'll get a response.

Thread