1996-01-04 - Re: Answer: Windows Eudora and PGP

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Herb Sutter <herbs@connobj.com>
Message Hash: d2fde5c62658dedfd0249abd6d3fddf0f76dec366324f2f03e6968c962c03352
Message ID: <m0tXihQ-00093PC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 03:52:33 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 03:52:33 +0800
To: Herb Sutter <herbs@connobj.com>
Subject: Re: Answer: Windows Eudora and PGP

At 09:48 PM 1/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Run, don't walk, to check out:
>
>   <http://www.panix.com/~jgostl/wpgp>
>
>Qualcomm's own Eudora support team recommended it, and it works seamlessly.
>To use it with Eudora, important point: after installing WPGP,

You make it sound so easy.  Problem is, installing this thing was clunky.
Took me a couple of times to make it even appear to install.

 >go into
>Options|Select Keystrokes and  make sure "Use Capture mode" and "Use Select
>All" are selected

>(and "Use Memorizer" should -not- be selected),

At least that seems to work...

>< otherwise
>you'll get errors about 'no selected text'.  That's it; you're up and running.

>Example of using WPGP: After writing your message as usual in Eudora, to
>encrypt simply click on WPGP's "Enc" button and then click on the window
>containing your message; that's it, very slick.  Another example: If you get
>a PGP-encrypted email and want to reply, just hit Eudora's Reply as usual
>(this will ">"-quote the entire original email as usual including the PGP
>block), click on WPGP to "Dec"rypt, and click anywhere on your reply
>window... it will pick out the PGP block, decrypt it, inform you about valid
>signatures etc., and automatically paste the reply back into your window in
>the proper place WITH PLAINTEXT PROPERLY QUOTED, as if you'd got the message
>straight in the clear and hit 'Reply'.
>
>Highly recommended.
>
>Herb

I apreciate your enthusiasm, but it has failed to work a number of times for
me.  Perhaps you should study your instructions a bit more carefully for
errors.  After I get to the end of the message on Eudora, I select WPGP and
follow your instructions by clicking on the ENC button.  At this point, I
can't maximize Eudora again  to  "click on the window containing your
message" (as  you asked).  The system asks me for my password, I type it,
but when control is returned to Eudora I see neither a signature nor encryption.

Frankly, it appears to me that the biggest threat to our security at this
moment are the programs which ostensibly are supposed to protect it.  I wish
I could be more appreciative.

Thread