1996-01-27 - Re: Time codes for PCs (fromn German Banking)

Header Data

From: Chris Townsend <townsend@smokin.fly.net>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: fa82595aa73d2147064c2e15f53fec7777c81d46403fb50378618e9291a8ca35
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960126211247.12031A-100000@smokin.fly.net>
Reply To: <m0tfyb0-00090XC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-27 03:22:10 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 11:22:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Chris Townsend <townsend@smokin.fly.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 11:22:10 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Time codes for PCs (fromn German Banking)

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, jim bell wrote:

> (BTW, if anybody knows how to easily connect it to the pc, or has the
> appropriate software, please tell me  The task isn't difficult from a
> hardware standpoint; it's just RS-232 serial ASCII timecode at about 9600
> bps which
> either continuously retransmits or on request.  The problem is the software:
>  How, exactly, do I INTERFACE such a serial input to the existing computer/RTC
> combination? (Don't tell me to plug it into an unused serial jack!  I'm not
> stupid. I'm not a  programmer, and I don't play one on TV! (I know
> gates, flops, op amps, A/D, D/A, microprocessor hardware design, even some
> Z-80 assy language, RF,  and I've programmed in Fortran, Basic, APL, Algol,
> PL/1, Pascal, LISP, but not recently and I don't enjoy it!)

You'll probably want to look at the XNTP code at

ftp://louie.udel.edu/pub/ntp

There's plenty of good toys and code for time geeks, radio clock
info, etc.

-cpt
townsend@fly.net

Thread