1996-02-18 - Re: DES_ono

Header Data

From: Frank Willoughby <frankw@in.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 06cf07fd8cffae78aa51b05eecc331f2342e960ed9b7a064ab71009aa63f478a
Message ID: <9602180502.AA03842@su1.in.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 14:07:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Frank Willoughby <frankw@in.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 14:07:01 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DES_ono

Two brief questions about DES, if I may.

I have heard of a couple of rumours that DES is considered to be fairly weak.
Specifically, the rumors mentioned that there were some questions about the
design of the S-boxes and the possibility that there was a trap door which
would permit the NSA or other gov't agency to quickly obtain the cleartext.

Another rumour was that the French & Israeli intelligence agencies downgraded
the classification of DES to one of the lowest strengths of encryption
algorithms.

I have been wondering about these issues off & on for a while & have tried to
do some research on them, but have come up with nothing which would amount to
more than hearsay.  It's tough to tell if the rumours stem from urban legends
or are based on fact.

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd appreciate an expert opinion of the two
rumours mentioned above.

Assuming the rumours of the weakness of DES are true, which symmetric
encryption algorithms would you recommend which are substantially more
secure than DES (and which are obtainable from Internet or commercial
sources)?  (It doesn't haver to be exportable).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Frank
<standard disclaimer>
The opinions expressed above are of the author and may not
necessarily be representative of Fortified Networks Inc.

Fortified Networks Inc. - Management & Information Security Consulting
Phone: (317) 573-0800   - http://www.fortified.com/fortified
Home of the Free Internet Firewall Evaluation Checklist

Thread