1996-02-15 - Re: The Emotional Killer (or out of the frying pan and into

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 136d3474e7daad88af7462bb2a60f6b588d9d34e526e452cd8e98cdbfac0443a
Message ID: <m0tn8cJ-00090NC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 07:50:07 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 07:50:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Emotional Killer (or out of the frying pan and into

At 02:51 PM 2/14/96 -0500, tallpaul wrote:
>On Feb 11, 1996 23:48:29, 'jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>' wrote:
>

>>At 11:59 PM 2/11/96 -0500, tallpaul wrote:
>>>I want to write on the theme posted to the list in the message below
>where
>>>J. Bell wrote "It is their ACTIONS that I feel violate my rights; that is
>
>>>what justifies my seeking their deaths, should I choose to do so."
>>>
>>>First, one thing that marks the sane adult from the child and the
>floridly
>>>psychotic adult is the sane adult's knowledge that "feelings" and "facts"
>
>>>are two different things.
>>>
>>>It is one thing to "feel," as J. Bell or all of us might, that our rights
>
>>>have been violated.
>>>
>>>It is another thing to maintain, as J. Bell uniquely appears to do, that
>>>the "feeling" gives him the right to seek another person's death.
>>
>>You're clearly confused. I was responding to an accusation that I was
>>defending seeking somebody's death simply because of a disagreement of
>>OPINION.  My comment was intended to remind the reader that it is the
>>ACTIONS of a person which justify the self-defense; not simply the
>>disagreement.
>
>I disagree and I believe that my quote (reposted by J. Bell) of his
>original statement supports me. He mentioned "ACTIONS" and he mentioned
>"OPINIONS" but he relied on his "feelings" as the touchstone of reality.
>More than ever I believe that he genuinely cannot understand the
>difference. He still confuses his "feelings" which exist nowhere but inside
>his head with "ACTIONS" which exist outside his head in the real world.

Frankly, I think you are deliberately engaging in nit-picky semantical
arguments when your fundamental position is bankrupt.  I've always made it
clear that I don't "assume" that every person is right in his belief that
his rights have been violated; rather, I point out that whether they are
right or  wrong, ultimately you (and me, and society) must deal with the
FACT of that belief.

If the person (people?)  in question is actually wrong, then consider it a
useful task to explain to that person WHY his beliefs are wrong.  If he's
RIGHT, he has the right to act to defend his rights.  The question of
whether any given person is right, in any given belief, is an interesting
matter, but it is only marginally relevant to the subject of "Assassination
Politics."  Ultimately, people WILL act on what they believe to be true; you
can't just stick your head in the sand and make them go away.  You can try
to convince them they're wrong, or you can try to defend yourself against
their (allegedly misguided) actions:  That is your choice.

Get back to the subject at hand and I'll be happy to continue to debate.
Engage in silly semantics and I'll be pleased to ignore you.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread