1996-02-11 - Re: The Decense Project

Header Data

From: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
To: master@internexus.net (Laszlo Vecsey)
Message Hash: 1381dfc53695880bfffbda75f80ef1a7e1175a6dae142c171649425ab4e8f145
Message ID: <199602110548.AAA19738@clark.net>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960210235648.11133A-100000@micro.internexus.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-11 08:08:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 16:08:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 16:08:54 +0800
To: master@internexus.net (Laszlo Vecsey)
Subject: Re: The Decense Project

> > The first piece of the Decense software is designed to provide "penet" like
> > double-blind anonymous transactions for the http protocol. It is written
> > as a cgi-bin script which provides a seamless mapping between anonymous
> > ids and remote web servers. Servers running Decense can be chained like
> > anonymous remailers to increase site level security.
>
> How is it possible to have an anonymous <-> anonymous transaction. The
> only way I see this can be done is to have the http data (c2.jpg for
> example) actually pass through your cgi-bin script so that the original
> identity (location) of the image is not revealed. This may be ok for some
> text files and documents, but who would set up this program on their
> server knowing that all their bandwidth is going to be gobbled up?

   The same people who are running the anonymous http proxies. If you've
got a T1, it's not much of a problem. And for some people, privacy is
a selling point, like Sameer's c2 system.  Also, let's say NOW
wants to put up a site with abortion information. They could pay a set of
anonymous proxy servers for the "service" of providing a anonymous mapping
service for them. And of course, all the various CyberPorn companies,
many of whom may have their business illegalized, will want to pay for
such a service. Especially, if the proxies are offshore.

   I'm not really concerned about who will want to provide the service.
I think there are many individuals who would. I'm concerned about making
the software available. Inline images could always be turned off in the
script if need be.

-Ray

Thread