1996-02-11 - Re: The Decense Project

Header Data

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
To: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Message Hash: 7d9eb5922ffc7ae9c9936d91f04a59b6f4db0d2633dc12c6e26d3dc31d1a653e
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960210235648.11133A-100000@micro.internexus.net>
Reply To: <199602110410.XAA20161@clark.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-11 07:55:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 15:55:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 15:55:46 +0800
To: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Subject: Re: The Decense Project

> The first piece of the Decense software is designed to provide "penet" like
> double-blind anonymous transactions for the http protocol. It is written
> as a cgi-bin script which provides a seamless mapping between anonymous
> ids and remote web servers. Servers running Decense can be chained like
> anonymous remailers to increase site level security.

How is it possible to have an anonymous <-> anonymous transaction. The
only way I see this can be done is to have the http data (c2.jpg for
example) actually pass through your cgi-bin script so that the original
identity (location) of the image is not revealed. This may be ok for some
text files and documents, but who would set up this program on their
server knowing that all their bandwidth is going to be gobbled up?

Perhaps if the files were spread out across many servers (fragmented) in
some way none of the individual pieces could be linked to any other, but
as a whole the file could be accessed.

If you decide to go ahead with the chaining method that you described
above, maybe it would be best to have the cgi-bin program mail the file to
your E-Mail account. If there is going to be any delay at all, you might
as well make it go through some more anonymous servers (more secure) and
have it show up a little bit later in your mailbox.

Thread