1996-02-22 - Re: Easy Nuclear Detonator

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 6428b66160106caa49989a14a61081844e05b11e2f66df8a15bb2a2126032eab
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960221223902.13497F-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <m0toNuM-00091OC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-22 03:57:59 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Feb 96 19:57:59 PST

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 96 19:57:59 PST
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Easy Nuclear Detonator

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, jim bell wrote:

> At 10:25 PM 2/18/96 EDT, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
> >	I've been kind of busy recently (the reason I haven't responded to
> >the more recent Assasination Politics stuff), but I'm curious what
> >your method is for achieving simultaneous explosions.
>

> "Multiple very thin flexible hollow tubes (1 mm ID? teflon?) filled with a
> homogenous liquid
> explosive (for example, pure nitromethane), length accurately cut to produce
> the exactly desired delay.  Kept separated from each other by foam spacers
> to avoid inter-fiber detonations. Detonated from a single cap, with an
> intermediary chamber of liquid explosive to stabilize the shock front, the
> detonation wave travels along each tube simultaneously at (presumably)
> identical velocity."

This method is so dependent on the uniformity of the initiator (the cap
in this instance) as to be nearly useless.  Normal blasting caps do not
detonate with the uniformity required to initiate each of the tube paths
at the same time.  In the off chance that you contemplated surrounding
the cap with liquid explosive of a sufficent type, (which still wouldn't
assure proper uniformity with any certainty as the liquid explosive is as
likely to detonate slightly off left to right as up to down) you still have
extremely difficult problems to overcome.

1>  Interference from the milling shape and accuracy of the openings to
the tubes containing the liquid explosive.

2>  Mild to obscure impurities in the liquid explosives causing
differences in velocity with respect to other tubes.  Even small changes
in pressures within the tubes might cause enough timing problems to make
uniform initiation of the primary high explosive assembly impossible.

3>  Interference from the milling shape and accuracy of the terminus of
the tubes containing the liquid explosive.

4>  Overpressure in the device causing premature detonation of the near
portion of the high explosive assembly.

All of these might cause enough timing error to prevent uniform pressure
and thus prevent uniform compression and make supercriticality impossible.

Remember, kryonic switiches are necessary even when dealing with the
speeds of electric conductivity.  The velocities of even hydrazine based
explosives are signigicantly lower.  The margin for error is similarly lower.

Plutonium gun is still the easiest method for the home grown nuclear
device, even if it requires more fissile material.

> It's a race, designed so that the detonation waves reach their targets (the
> foci) at
> the same time.  If the detonation velocity was, say, 5,000 meters per
> second, an accuracy of 0.5 millimeter in length would produce a delay
> accuracy  of 100 nanoseconds.
>
> Whatcha think?
>
> Now where did I put that pit...   <G>
>
> Jim Bell
> jimbell@pacifier.com
>
> Klaatu Burada Nikto

---
My prefered and soon to be permanent e-mail address: unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread