1996-02-03 - Re: Netscape, CAs, and Verisign

Header Data

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 81b5a16b101a3bdc75c27d2fd7d70553e494f8d484d91500094725e2805d45c6
Message ID: <3113D385.2781@netscape.com>
Reply To: <199602030951.BAA12320@ix2.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-03 22:00:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 06:00:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 06:00:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape, CAs, and Verisign

Bill Stewart wrote:

> At 06:50 PM 1/30/96 -0500, Phill wrote:
> > Question is how can Netscape (or anyone else) _securely_ allow an
> > arbitrary CA's certificate to be used? Certainly the process cannot
> > be automatic. Binding the Verisign public key into the browser may
> > be an undesirable solution, but the problem is to think of a better
> > one.
>
> It's easy, and I gather Netscape has done it in 2.x - let the _user_
> decide what CAs to trust.  For convenient verification, you can have
> the user sign the keys for each of the CAs, and then the
> chain-following software only needs to compare each certificate's
> signer with the user's own pubkey, rather than comparing with
> Verisign's.  If you want to be automatic about it, you _could_ have
> the user sign Verisign's key when first generating keys, or you could
> ask the user the first time.

In 2.0, what we do is maintain a database of certificates that have
various trust attributes.  We ship this database with a number of CAs
that we feel confident in, but the user can add and delete CAs if he
wants.

When the Navigator is presented with a certificate that it can't
verify (the CA isn't in the database), the user is prompted as to
whether or not to trust the site and whether to trust it permanently, or
just for this session.

The Navigator can also download certificates as one of the following
mime types:

application/x-x509-ca-cert
application/x-x509-server-cert
application/x-x509-user-cert

When the Navigator sees one of these, it presents the user with a
series of dialog boxes that take him through the process of approving
the certificate and adding it to the database.

--
Sure we spend a lot of money, but that doesn't mean | Tom Weinstein
we *do* anything.  --  Washington DC motto          | tomw@netscape.com

Thread