1996-02-02 - Re: FV Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Software Encryption of Credit

Header Data

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
To: pmarc@fnbc.com
Message Hash: 88ae59809daa75f7d18f840a67080fc78fe30f578783ad7506ce70b0dc51d09d
Message ID: <sl4c9n6Mc50eJ5gbYU@nsb.fv.com>
Reply To: <9601292111.AA23738@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-02 23:07:14 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 07:07:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 07:07:14 +0800
To: pmarc@fnbc.com
Subject: Re: FV Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Software Encryption of Credit

I know people are tired of hearing from me, but I can't let *this* go
unchallenged:

Excerpts from mail.cypherpunks: 30-Jan-96 Re: FV Demonstrates Fatal F..
"Paul M. Cardon"@fnbc.co (580*)

> Interesting address that was used to reach me.

> To: pmarc@nsb.fv.com
> To: pmarc

> Somehow, both reached me from within their system, but if they
> can't configure their e-mail to show the proper address than I don't
> have to much faith in their other abilities.  I don't imagine that
> anybody else would have much luck replying to either of those or CAN
> I now receive mail at nsb.fv.com?  Is this a new free service
> provided by FV?

Bogus mail addresses of that kind are typically added by all sorts of
mail relays.  In other words, although I can't tell you 100% for certain
without seeing the mail headers, the scenario underlying this was
probably something involving a bogus mail relay.  Alternately, there are
some systems where this could have all happened entirely on your end, in
your delivery software.  There are a zillion ways this can happen,
actually.  I've checked my archive, and that address definitely was not
in the mail when it left my system.

I can guarantee you that it wasn't our system that did this.  If there's
one things we know cold, it's email.  -- Nathaniel
--------
Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@fv.com>
Chief Scientist, First Virtual Holdings
FAQ & PGP key: nsb+faq@nsb.fv.com