1996-02-21 - Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Header Data

From: IPG Sales <ipgsales@cyberstation.net>
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Message Hash: bd594f89c89ad38ee932e9ea6b5cfb338c8dcf3cf0ecaced878240ecb53c6e30
Message ID: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.960220140515.9829M-100000@citrine.cyberstation.net>
Reply To: <199602200306.WAA11013@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-21 08:00:11 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 16:00:11 +0800

Raw message

From: IPG Sales <ipgsales@cyberstation.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 16:00:11 +0800
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Derek -

As stated previously, we accept the challenge that you make -
However, we do believe that it should be a two way street -

If you are able to break the system, and everyone knows what we mean by
break, then we will publicly admit that we are snake oil salesmen, and
all the other things that Perry Metzger and others called us. We will go
out of business, and tuck our tail and run. We will inform all major
publications, WIRED, PC WEEK, PC  Magazine, PC World, Infoworld and the
like that our mundane system was cracked by the cypherpunks.

Furthermore:
you, they,  will be free, to publish any material, any and all
materials, will become the property of Cypherpunks if they break
the system, inculding all of our source code - everything and they may do
with it as they see fit.

On the other hand:

If the cypherpunks fail to break the system, they
will  acknowledge that, not that it is unbreakable, but that they
tried to break the system and were unable to do so, Furthermore,
they will so notify all the major publications, and news sources that
they tried break the system and failed - not that it is unbreakable
but simply that they could not break it. Further, that all materials
supplied to Cypherpunks will be returned to us, and will not be
published without our explicit written permission, unless the
Cypherpunks later break the system.

Further:

That if you have not broken the system by August 1, 1996 the
expiration date of the demo system to be provided to you, then we are
free to advertise that Cypherpunks have been trying to break our system and
have been unable to so to that date, Further the cypherpunks will publicly
acknowledge same as indicated previously. You can still try to break
the system and publish the results, and obtain all of our souce code,
materials and whatsoever when you do. However, you must do so with a
purchased system and not a free demo system.

You can have infinity to try to break the system, but you cannot have
that long to publicly admit that you have been unable to break it to
date. I believe 5+ months is long enough to prove how easy it is to
break, don't you.

Further:

If Cypherpunks are unable to break the system, then those who
participated in the attempt will upbrade those cypherpunks, I at this
stage prefer to call them cyphermouths, who have leaped before they
looked, from a list supplied by us, based on received e-mail, in effect
tell them to find out what they are talking about -before they start
spouting off.

Accordingly:

We will not publish the algorithms on an Internet URL, for reasons
that you, yourself, will soon come to understand. But we will provide it to a
a very large selected set, you or your designee can do the selection, so
long as all thosee selection are within the United States, of
cypherpunks as follows:

 1. We will provide a 12 user integrated demo system, each outfitted with
    240 Nvelopes, and Nvelopeners, read OTPs. These will not be the
    5600 bit systems, discusssed in the many e-mail messages that have
    been flowing back and forth, but will be our new 12288 bit systems,
    which we have been working on since yesterday, since everyone seemed
    to focus in on the 5600 bit OTPs - the algorithms themselves do not
    change, only parametric values, but it will take a couple of days to
    double check everything.

    These are in effect single user systems, but for your purposes,
    you may treat them as a site system. You may distribute them to
    any twelve sites in the United States - You may not knowingly
    deliver then into the hands of citizens of a country other than
    the United States, not even Canadians. Nor may you make copies of
    them and send them to anyone other than the 12 selected sites. Each
    of the sites may of course communicate back and forth using the
    system - be sure and don't include anything private because it is
    so easy to break.

    At each site, an unlimited number of people may work on cracking the
    system, without limitation, but they must agree to the terms
    set out herein in this offer.  Such participants may travel to a site
    and work on it, but all work must be done at a site, not off
    premises, at home or whatever -  the site may be operated 168 hours
    a week if desired, but no offsite work.

   After the 20 User pair Nvelopes are exhausted, the DEMO system will be
   set to recycle through the Nvelopes/Nvelopeners automatically,  this
   means, as you might expect, that there is a finite chance, very
   remote but possible, that you may get one or more exact OTP repeats
   which means that you will be able to XOR out the OTP used, not the
   orginal but the one actually used - that doers not count as breaking
   the system, because it exists only as a convenience to continue
   testing the system without interruption. For production systems, this
   does not happen, cannot happen, unless you bugger your own, or allow
   someone else to,system.

   Also both performance and interface critisms are off limits during the
   five months, unless you break the system of course - by then you may
   crtique the performance, if you do it under lab conditions - a
   defragmented disk with at least 10 times data free, ie. compare
   apples to apples, not apples to oranges. We have been focusing on the
   OTP aspects of the system, to the detriment of performance and
   interface. For a first release though, we believe you will find them
   acceptable - we will have a full windows 95 interface and
   increased performance, hopefully by the time you break the
   system, within the next few months.

2. We will also supply 12 complete sets of the algorithms used, and
   orally clarify any questions or ambiguities that may arise. However,
   we will not submit to being unundated by a barrage of repetitious
   questions - no more than three cypherpunks may be appointed as
   questioners of IPG sales, and we are to be notified in writing,
   of who those appointees are. Inquiries from others will be directed to
   one those three.

   The algorithms must be worked on at sight, other than some innoculous
   trail and error processes and procedures which may be worked on at
   home - no publication of same until you break the system.

Okay, enough badgering of each other - we deliberately did so yesterday,
as some of you did, but now is the time for the cypherpunks, and for
a few of what I will call cyphermouths, to put up or shut up.
Assuming that you accept, we will supply any designee with the 12 sets, of
materials, by UPS Next Day Air, and you may distrbute them as desired,
subject to the above restrictions - we want to fight one problem at a
time.

I somehow hope that you are able to include my good friend, "joke for
him I am sure but serious from me", Perry in one of the twelve sites,
so he can show us how stupid we are. Two of the best computer
system engineers that I have ever known had the last name Metzger, Bob
and Charles, who was blind - anyway good luck Perry, you are going to
need it. We await your reply - assuming you accept, we will deliver the
materials, one of the first three days of next week.

"He who laces himself into the straight jacket of what he knows and
understands, imprisions his mind" - Willian Friedman memoirs - spoken
to JVN, and Norbert Weiner, of MIT, at Princeton -

Thread