1996-02-12 - Re: Reasons in support of crypto-anarchy WAS Re: Why am I (fwd)

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: John Young <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d034e4c11d979ce428b423b5fc0226796cef9d43affdcdd75f91f06de36be1c1
Message ID: <m0tllpL-00091qC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:00:52 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:00:52 +0800
To: John Young <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Reasons in support of crypto-anarchy WAS Re: Why am I (fwd)

At 09:54 AM 2/11/96 -0500, John Young wrote:
>It's hard to tell the difference between "Assasination
>Politics" and government-sponsored provocateurism, a
>well-documented practice to stigmatize anarchical and
>anti-authoritarian ventures.

I deeply appreciate your quandary.

Needless to say, _I_ know which I am, and what my motivations are.  But
there are a few clues which might assist you:

1.  Most "government sponsored provocateurism" is given substantially more
publicity than the meager amount I've managed to acquire on FIDOnet, USENET,
and CP.  You can well imagine that if the government were trying to use an
"Assassination Politics"-type scenario to drum up support for Clipper-type
and FBI-wiretap ideas, they'd do a better job getting the word out.

2.  I think I've tried to make it clear that I believe that this idea is
technically inevitable; it will occur REGARDLESS of the efforts which
attempt to resist it.  If this were "government-sponsored provocateurism,"
I would have added something to the effect that "This is going to happen
unless [fill in the blank with something the government wants to do to
us...]".

3.  "Watch this space"   If you still have any residual doubts, and think I
might be in league with the government on this, wait a few months.  You'll
be astonished.

>However, it takes guts and thick skin to advocate overthrow of
>authority, knowing that reasonable people will think you're a
>nut seeking celebrity martyrdom.

Well, it's not like I'm SEEKING martyrdom, but the possibilities have
certainly crossed my mind. Some people have suggested, and only partially in
jest, that I may be one of the system's first victims.  They may be right.
Nevertheless, I was undeterred, as evidenced by the fact that I published
the essay anyway.

>Happily for the careers of agent-and-anarchist back-stabbing
>back-scratchers, there is no easy way to know for sure which is
>which, or even if there's any difference when the media
>juggernauts are provocateuring both roles for melodramatic
>infotainment.

My idea has already resulted in an article in the Asahi Evening News
newspaper, an English-language newspaper for residents of Japan.  A copy of
this article was mailed to me a couple days ago.  It may also result in a (I
hope positive) screenplay.  FAR more exciting that "The Net."

Jim Bell

Klaatu Burada Nikto

Something is going to happen.       Something...Wonderful!

Thread