1996-03-27 - Re: Bad news from Judge Richey

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Phil Karn <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2d6971fd2e03991237624f357061d550def972efdda6589160a6aacce96bcf4b
Message ID: <m0u1PQw-0008zzC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:27:49 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:27:49 +0800
To: Phil Karn <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bad news from Judge Richey

At 02:21 PM 3/25/96 -0800, Phil Karn wrote:
>Last Friday, Judge Richey issued a 36-page opinion dismissing my suit
>against the State Dept.
>
>I am waiting for a copy of the opinion, which should arrive in paper
>form tomorrow. I'll post it on my web site when it's available in
>electronic form. (http://www.qualcomm.com/people/pkarn/export)
>
>I'll be meeting my attorneys next Monday to plan an appeal strategy.

I realize that this may appear to be a rather disrespectful tactic, but have
you considered reminding the judge that if you are not allowed to profit by
exporting encryption that the government doesn't want to see exported,
you'll just have to make money in some other way, and this may lead you to
talk to Jim Bell about implementing a program using encryption that doesn't
_need_ to be exported...legally anyway.

Jim Bell

jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread