1996-04-25 - Re: Hack MSN anyone?

Header Data

From: Lee Fisher <leefi@microsoft.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 1bf55ebe337121aaf23ff153aad8ab61a226ac25d9f8caaca45b7bca5c42f33f
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=msft%l=RED-09-MSG-960425205348Z-73431@tide19.microsoft.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-04-25 20:55:46 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:55:46 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Lee Fisher <leefi@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Hack MSN anyone?

I was curious about the below message, and checked...

MSN uses CHAP (PPP's challenge-response handshake) for network layer
authetication, and NTLM (Windows NT's challenge-response handshake) for
application-layer authentication. The password is never sent in across
the network. Challenge-responses encrypted with the password are sent.

Lee Fisher

| The names have been changed to protect the innocent...
| I need say no more I'm sure.
|
|| Yes, windows95 dialup networking uses compression to send the
password
|| when connecting. Thanks for using the Microsoft Network
||| Problem Description: Microsoft being security conscious and all, I
||| would hope that when I connect to MSN over the Internet, that my MSN
||| client has the decency to ENCRYPT my password when it sends it over
the
||| net,  yes?  This is the first time I couldn't get through to a
dial-up
||| connection and had to access MSN using my ISP.  Having done so, I
find
||| it extrememly convenient, and would like to continue to do so.
Thanks.

Thread