1996-04-16 - RE: math patents

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Robin Felix <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 4716b61a7e3e6b89adcd52f2784e68a5348ec8a3722971ba2ddee97003d1f1e5
Message ID: <m0u9Duq-0008zqC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 05:49:01 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 05:49:01 +0800
To: Robin Felix <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: math patents

<http://www.delfinsd.delfin.com/felix/Algorithm_Patents.htm.  It's the good
>part, the background material minus footnotes.  Although it's a bit dated,
>the description of foundational cases is still accurate.

Thanks for the reference, and yes, the article was very interesting.  As
usual, it sounds like the legal system has gotten the whole thing screwed up.

I am still mystified, however!  If I understand the thrust of the legal
cases you cited, purely mathematical algorithms are still not patentable,
yet the patents on public-key cryptography are about the most purely
mathematical ones that could be imagined.  They are not an element in the
process, they ARE the process.

To recap, I've asserted (with no definitive proof, obviously) that when
public-key cryptography was invented, in about 1976, the US government
decided that it wanted to restrict it as much as possible from ordinary US
citizens.  Due to the 1st amendment, legal restrictions on speech would not
fly, and copyright was out because that would only have protected one
particular program, if even that much.  The final alternative, patent
protection, was essentially unavailable (or thought to be so) because of the
traditional non-patentability of software and mathematics.

Patents would not have prevented the Russians from using RSA, nor any other
foreigners, so as far as I can see the only group of people impaired by the
RSA patent were American citizens as a group.

To me, there are at least two mysteries that need to be solved here.  The
first is why the cryptography patents were issued in the first place.  The
second, and perhaps even more incriminating, has to do with why the patents
were applied for.  Because the patent application has to be filed within a
year of disclosure, the RSA patent would have to have been filed at latest
by April of 1977.  Yet, that predates some of the earliest cases in your
article by a year or more.  I've never heard a cogent explanation as to how
R, S, and A decided that a "doomed" patent application was worthwhile,
unless they had some insider information that the Gottschalk v. Benson case
would be essentially ignored and the patent granted anyway.

This isn't unrealistic paranoia or conspiracy theory, either.  It is
reasonable to assume that since the government would be the first, largest
beneficiary of keeping RSA out of the hands of the public, and since the
government made up and controlled the patent office and the court system as
well, it could easily have made a decision that RSA was going to be
patented, and Messr's Rivest, Shamir, and Adleman told of their luck in
plenty of time to apply for a patent.  The other cases from 1978 on might
simply have been window-dressing, to make it look like the courts had had a
change of heart unrelated to the subject of public-key cryptography.

My question is this:  "Is there anything you're aware of that contradicts
this impression?"  Or, is there a way to confirm this?

Thread