1996-04-14 - Re: Scientologists may subpoena anonymous remailer records

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore)
Message Hash: 4b8492310e08e01b383851c4f841de556b3f274b6d4a34dafa4e28a6a2496b6a
Message ID: <199604101236.HAA26752@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199604100202.TAA16568@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-14 03:05:04 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 11:05:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 11:05:04 +0800
To: gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore)
Subject: Re: Scientologists may subpoena anonymous remailer records

John Gilmore wrote:

| I thought that most or all of the cypherpunk anonymous remailers don't
| keep records.  Not even on backup tapes.  The whole idea is that there
| aren't logs.  But maybe they have found some remailers that are
| non-cypherpunk.  And I haven't verified the truth of what's in the msg
| below.  If anyone hears anything, please let me (or eff@eff.org) know.
|
| 	John Gilmore

	Does that prevent a subpeona as a form of harrassment?  There
are already reliability problems in the remailer network.  (Witness
the anon messages that get received twice, as insurance that it gets
through.)  Making the remailers less reliable is in the intrests of
the bad guys.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread