1996-04-14 - Re: Bank transactions on Internet

Header Data

From: Roger Williams <roger@coelacanth.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5bf2e2ae8d98763b78d2c8e202e16db03f66688e1dd305cabfb26004d719585d
Message ID: <9604140611.AA3800@sturgeon.coelacanth.com>
Reply To: <9604100832.AA06344@divcom.umop-ap.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-14 10:08:02 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:08:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Roger Williams <roger@coelacanth.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:08:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bank transactions on Internet

  > My short answer: Yes, it's that cheap, but only if you already
  > work with the chip vendor and have the software tools to program
  > the chips.  If not, expect to spend many thousands of dollars...

Huh?  We're talking about modern FPGAs here.  The cost of the tools
necessary to actually *program* the damn things is very small, as
almost all of them are SRAM-based and programmed out of an external
EPROM, bus, or serial bitstream.

Sure, we've spent $50,000 on FPGA *development* tools, but we program
the serial EEPROMs themselves on $300 PC-based programmers which are
available -- as are the FPGAs and EEPROMs -- from Digikey, Allied,
Newark, etc., to anyone with a credit card.

Actually, in almost all of our designs, the FPGAs are programmed
in-circuit by application software.  If I were to design a hardware
key cracker, it would almost certainly be a simple ISA-bus card
containing a couple of big Xilinx FPGAs which would get programmed by
a simple C program.

[Funny thing -- there seems to be a lot of "theft" of satellite and
 cable programming by folks who know just enough to use a soldering
 iron, but haven't a clue about what really happens inside a set-top
 box.  How do they manage it, if they don't have the tools to design or
 reverse-engineer a cable converter?  Hmmm...]

--
Roger Williams            PGP key available from PGP public keyservers
Coelacanth Engineering        consulting & turnkey product development

Thread