1996-04-07 - Re: Someone’s screwing around with anon.penet.fi

Header Data

From: Magnus Y Alvestad <magnus@ii.uib.no>
To: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Message Hash: 6681e8b207479f26cbc98344d69f1a6e8714773d96b541acf885311c7fd27822
Message ID: <evpw9kq1z3.fsf@vipe.ii.uib.no>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960406114609.5026B-100000@kirk.edmweb.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-07 05:24:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:24:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Magnus Y Alvestad <magnus@ii.uib.no>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:24:27 +0800
To: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Subject: Re: Someone's screwing around with anon.penet.fi

| I have a feeling lots of people on the Cypherpunks list are going to
l be getting these... My first post to the list was only about two
| days ago, and someone's already messing around. :(

Something like that.

No doubt, someone is subscribed to the cypherpunks list with an
anonymous account on anon.penet.fi - of the an???? variant.  When you
posted to the cypherpunks list, your posting was sent to this
account.

Now, an???? accounts are supposed to be anonymized both ways, which
means that when anon.penet.fi recieved your message, it anonymized it
and assigned you an anon id.

The nasty consequence is that the receiver can easily find the
correspondence between your real and anon id, even if it wasn't
generated just now.

I thought there was some kind of mechanism on anon.penet.fi to prevent
this, but it seems not.

-Magnus

Thread