1996-04-15 - Re: Trojan Horse Loose On The Internet

Header Data

From: Doug Hughes <Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
To: wolv@infosys.utm.my
Message Hash: 8d4b4f9d0984326911cac6ab9505f86f5704ca2d746798db6af96922488cb1be
Message ID: <doug-9603151349.AA0273400@netman.eng.auburn.edu>
Reply To: <19960415073947953.AAA74@Executioner.utm.my>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-15 18:24:31 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 02:24:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Doug Hughes <Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 02:24:31 +0800
To: wolv@infosys.utm.my
Subject: Re: Trojan Horse Loose On The Internet

>According to several reliable sources there is a deadly virus on the
>Internet.  This is NOT a hoax!
>CAN ANYBODY CHECK THIS OUT, PLEASE..
>
>Note: The reliability of all information below is UNKNOWN.
>
>WHAT:
>Virus Alert:  PKZIP 3.0 Trojan Loose on the Internet
>
>BACKGROUND:
>A trojan (virus) program, PKZIP 3.0, which is advertised as an updated
>version of the popular compression utility PKZIP, is currently being
>distributed on the Internet.  Please note that this trojan is REAL and
>DESTRUCTIVE.  Once executed, this program will destroy data on your hard
>drive; there's no stopping it.
>
>According to PKWARE, makers of PKZIP, the only released versions of PKZIP
>are:  1.10, 1.93, 2.04c, 2.04e and 2.04g.  All other versions currently
>circulating on the Internet are suspect and should not be used.
>
>ACTION REQUIRED:
>Please do not download or execute any files that are named PKZ300B.EXE,
>PKZ300B.ZIP, PKZIP300.ZIP, PKZIP300.EXE, etc. from the Internet or other
>external source.
>
>Anybody with any information on this..??

100% true and verifiable. Although I wouldn't call it deadly or rampant,
it has been making the rounds of late. Mostly it's victims are new users.
After all, how many times have you upgraded your copy of pkzip? ;)

Doug Hughes					Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin  				Auburn University
			doug@eng.auburn.edu
		Pro is to Con as progress is to congress

Thread