1996-04-16 - Re: Trojan Horse Loose On The Internet

Header Data

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
To: Doug Hughes <Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
Message Hash: bc908ea25cb46c9bb4ead5c727dfb673deb8eabc8b74b789231cad0412ad0995
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960415202856.1893A-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Reply To: <doug-9603151349.AA0273400@netman.eng.auburn.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-16 05:43:12 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:43:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:43:12 +0800
To: Doug Hughes <Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
Subject: Re: Trojan Horse Loose On The Internet

This one has been around for ages, but the story seems to be making the
rounds once again.

See PKWARE's web site:

http://www.pkware.com/fake.html

(posted May, 1995)

Rabid Wombat
wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org

On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Doug Hughes wrote:

> >According to several reliable sources there is a deadly virus on the
> >Internet.  This is NOT a hoax!
> >CAN ANYBODY CHECK THIS OUT, PLEASE..
> >
> >Note: The reliability of all information below is UNKNOWN.
> >
> >WHAT:
> >Virus Alert:  PKZIP 3.0 Trojan Loose on the Internet
> >
> >BACKGROUND:
> >A trojan (virus) program, PKZIP 3.0, which is advertised as an updated
> >version of the popular compression utility PKZIP, is currently being
> >distributed on the Internet.  Please note that this trojan is REAL and
> >DESTRUCTIVE.  Once executed, this program will destroy data on your hard
> >drive; there's no stopping it.
> >
> >According to PKWARE, makers of PKZIP, the only released versions of PKZIP
> >are:  1.10, 1.93, 2.04c, 2.04e and 2.04g.  All other versions currently
> >circulating on the Internet are suspect and should not be used.
> >
> >ACTION REQUIRED:
> >Please do not download or execute any files that are named PKZ300B.EXE,
> >PKZ300B.ZIP, PKZIP300.ZIP, PKZIP300.EXE, etc. from the Internet or other
> >external source.
> >
> >Anybody with any information on this..??
>
> 100% true and verifiable. Although I wouldn't call it deadly or rampant,
> it has been making the rounds of late. Mostly it's victims are new users.
> After all, how many times have you upgraded your copy of pkzip? ;)
>
> --
> Doug Hughes					Engineering Network Services
> System/Net Admin  				Auburn University
> 			doug@eng.auburn.edu
> 		Pro is to Con as progress is to congress

Thread