1996-04-03 - Re: J Bell’s Moniker (WAS: Re: NYT on CFP)

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Mark Aldrich <maldrich@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Message Hash: a857ea9b25d91761945b0e70ff21f5a958051f5f62f73a3c1882fbcea4822500
Message ID: <m0u4EPi-00091kC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 16:35:42 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 16:35:42 +0800
To: Mark Aldrich <maldrich@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Subject: Re: J Bell's Moniker (WAS: Re: NYT on CFP)

At 12:06 PM 4/2/96 -0500, Mark Aldrich wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, jim bell wrote:

>> Damn!  They keep leaving me out of their short list!  Maybe they meant to
>> lump me in with the groups they mentioned.  I'm an American, so I can't be a
>> "foreign spy," and my supply of child pornography is at a constant zero
>> level.   I'd sure hate to be lumped into an ignominious position with the
>> "other criminals," however:  What an unimpressive title!
>>
>> Maybe I'll just have to settle for being called a terrorist. Harrumph!
>
>OK, Jim, I'll take the bait:
>
>What, per chance, _DO_ you want to be called?

What I was trying to suggest, in a suitably humorous way, is the fact that
the government really isn't concerned about these "bad guys," and in fact is
(or, ought to be) more worried about technological developments that will
(and should!) make governing populations increasingly difficult.  It doesn't
want to admit this, but that's still the truth.  I'm sure they have advisors
who are telling them what is going to occur, and if they're at all on the
ball they're desperately working to try to figure out if these eventualities
can be prevented.

I don't think they'll be successful, but it is still possible to identify
many of their efforts such as the Clipper I and Clipper II proposals, both
of which were abject failures, and the Digital Telephony bill, which despite
the fact it passed has not been funded, and others.  I view the Leahy bill
as a somewhat more "realistic" proposal in this series, in the sense that
they got a bit smarter about their proposals, putting some tasty bait in the
trap.  It's still a trap.

I was also trying to point out that when the government views just about all
its enemies as "foreign spies, child pornographers, other criminals and
terrorists," its task is to fit all the people who are REALLY dangerous to
it into one of these pre-defined molds.  I am reminded of the saying, "When
the only tool you have is a hammer, you begin to treat all problems as if
they are nails."

So I wonder what kind of "nail" I'm going to be.

One last thing:  I don't really know what I'd like to be called, but maybe
"the last revolutionary" is appropriately melodramatic.  Because what I'm
promoting will be, literally, the LAST revolution society will ever need.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread