1996-04-23 - Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

Header Data

From: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
To: Bruce Marshall <brucem@wichita.fn.net>
Message Hash: aea5418e5f57e1e79e5e7fdcf66ca31686d2eaae49386799bbb739e0d201ffcd
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960422143210.10285A-100000@kirk.edmweb.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSI.3.91.960422084746.14906B-100000@wichita.fn.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-23 02:03:22 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:03:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:03:22 +0800
To: Bruce Marshall <brucem@wichita.fn.net>
Subject: Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

>      Several other countries have very similiar laws.  However, I had
> heard a somewhat unproven rumor that a U.S. state had actually made the
> writing of programs with malicious purposes illegal.  Basically meaning
> that if you write a virus you have committed a crime.  Like I said
> though, this was just a statement in a message so I can't vouch for the
> accuracy.

Hmm... "malicious purposes".... How would they determine that? Some
viruses are clearly designed to be destructive, but some do nothing but
replicate. Then there are viruses and worms (like RTM's) that crash
systems, but may or may not have been designed to do that. Then there are
trojan horses, which look useful, but are designed to crash your
machine... Then there are programs that are designed to be useful, but
have bugs that will cause your machine to crash.

Things are only black and white in lawmaker's dreams. :-/

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP Fingerprint: 11 C8 9D 1C D6 72 87 E6  8C 09 EC 52 44 3F 88 30 |
|              -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, IANAL. --                 |

Thread