1996-04-25 - Re: Mindshare and Java

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: Rich Graves <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cebaf14d34837c9a87dd16c035a37711f0590212e410a67253aa15961d69aaec
Message ID: <199604252023.NAA00294@netcom9.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:23:18 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:23:18 -0700 (PDT)
To: Rich Graves <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Mindshare and Java

At 10:47 PM 4/24/96 -0700, Rich Graves wrote:
>I agree that the major innovation, and cypherpunk opportunity, of Java is
>in its cross-platform nature, not its vaunted ability to run untrusted
>code safely. I'm sorry, I'm just not interested in running untrusted code.
>Give me digitally signed code that I can trust, or for which the author
>can at least be held accountable, and I'll be happy.

I, for one, am interested in running untrusted code.  If I can run
untrusted code, I can greatly reduce my exposure to Trojan horses and bugs.
 It bothers me that if I run Microsoft Word, it can trash my MacWrite
files.  Even if I get these programs from reputable dealers, in original
shrink-wrap boxes, so I have good reason to believe I know who the author
is, I am still exposed to these problems.

I should note that Java's one-straitjacket-fits-all approach to running
untrusted programs is not adequate to satisfy my desires.  However, it is a
start, and it does run in todays complex Input Output Control Systems that
have been misnamed "Operating Systems".  (If it can't enforce a security
policy, it isn't an Operating System.)

I would rather use technological means to prevent damage than legal means.

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread