1996-04-19 - Re: Protocols at the Point of a Gun

Header Data

From: abostick@netcom.com (Alan Bostick)
To: sjb@universe.digex.net
Message Hash: ff9bf8c7801243713e91e2a5f6019d029a974ab17ebac6ab133755e514d61b74
Message ID: <OTwdx8m9LYbG085yn@netcom.com>
Reply To: <199604172021.QAA01638@universe.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-19 20:36:02 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:36:02 +0800

Raw message

From: abostick@netcom.com (Alan Bostick)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:36:02 +0800
To: sjb@universe.digex.net
Subject: Re: Protocols at the Point of a Gun

In article <199604172021.QAA01638@universe.digex.net>,
Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net> wrote:

> I'm beginning to agree with the CDA supporter who claimed that "you're
> just trying to protect your pornography by saying it's impossible when
> we all know otherwise."  Of course, that person really didn't know
> otherwise, but I do.  The abstract model of the Internet network layer
> thinks of all transport entities as equivalent, as are all link
> entities.  In the real world, such mixed user bases are unusual.  If my
> scheme were implemented, service providers would probably have to
> segregate shell account access onto "childproof" and "adult" machines,
> or acquire a TCSEC B level system.  Either approach works, and most
> would likely choose the former, since its cheaper.  It's still not
> really that many machines.

Don't forget: There are lots of colleges and universities on the net,
and most of these universities have undergraduates, and a significant
fraction of these undergraduates are minors.  The potential user base is
going to be mixed and must be presumed to be so.  (That, I'm told, is
the chief justification of the Carnegie-Mellon ban on the alt.sex.*
Usenet newsgroups.) *Lots* of systems are affected by this problem.

(Remember, as far as the CDA is concerned, a seventeen-year-and-eleven-
month-old downloading nekkid pictures is every bit as bad as a
six-year-old doing so.)

--
Alan Bostick               | They say in online country there is no middle way
mailto:abostick@netcom.com | You'll either be a Usenet man or a thug for the CDA

Thread